Sunday, September 19, 2010

September 19 - Grand Rapids, and more

It's been a busy 8 days since my last post – I left Roseau on September 8, having enjoyed a lovely five days with cousin Leanne and family, and learning even more about my family history on my father's side.

Then to Moorhead and Fargo (cities across the Red River from each other). I only went to Fargo to check out Cabela's, a full service sporting goods store. Wow – everything any camper would ever want, and could ever need, from soup to nuts to overalls and propane powered coffee-makers. Cabela's is decorated around stuffed animals, of all sizes – chipmunks to moose, and everything in-between.

By way of contrast, I also went to Scheels, another full-service sporting goods store. Much of the same products for sale, BUT an interesting contrast in decorating. In addition to all of the stuffed animals – bears, moose, deer, chipmunk, beaver . . . . Nearly all of the US Presidents were also gracing the interior – in full-size replicas a la Madame Tussaud's. Would anyone care to write an essay comparing and contrasting the décor of the two stores; or, do an analytical piece on that topic :)

Also spent a half day at the Hjemcomst Center in Moorhead. (Hjemcomst means homecoming in Norwegian). This Center memorialises the individual dreams of two men.

The first, Bob Asp, was a guidance counselor at a local high school and had a dream about constructing and sailing a replica of a Viking ship to Norway – and this is from the middle of Minnesota remember. After years of work his dream became real, and though he died shortly before the voyage was to begin, his children carried on his dream, and did indeed sail to Norway. For more on this inspiring tale, see http://www.hjemkomst-center.com/ship/main.htm


The second dreamer was Guy Paulson, who wanted to replicate a Norwegian Stave church. As a worker in wood, he wanted to honour those who had gone before, and the thousand-year old stave churches which still stand in Norway. He too perservered, and made his dream a reality. For more info on this one, go to http://www.hjemkomst-center.com/church/main.htm

Then, I resumed my east-ward journey to Grand Rapids, Minnesota where the next Habitat Build is taking place. On my way, I stopped at the Mississippi Headwaters Centre http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/itasca/index.html

and stepped over the beginning of that great River. I took a photo of the River, on my way out of the park, ½ mile from where the river begins. What do you think? Does that look anything like the River you know or think of?

Arriving at Grand Rapids – birthplace of Judy Garland by the way – I set up at Pokegama Dam camp site , which is a beautiful and well-run campground right on the banks of the Mississippi., above. I wake each morning to the sound of the river rippling by – wow! Spent some time at an annual meeting of the Minnesota Street-Rod Association, and may have located my next tow vehicle, if I decide to get rid of the Mazda Tribute that has carried me so many miles.

Also went to Hibbing, MN, to see a three-way continental divide. I had always thought that there was only one, THE continental divide that runs down the Rocky Mountains; but no, there are several of them. The one near here is not at a high altitude, but a drop of water that falls upon it can go one of three ways; One to the Red River, then north to Hudson Bay. Another, to the Mississippi and then to the Caribbean; and the third, to the east, to Lake Superior, the St. Lawrence and the Atlantic Ocean. Boy am I learning a lot!!! For more info, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentian_Divide


While in Hibbing, I visited another open pit mine site – there are so many in this part of the world, and I didn't want to miss anything. The Hull-Rust mine is said to be one of the largest in the world. For more info, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull-Rust-Mahoning_Open_Pit_Iron_Mine .

See http://www.gogeometry.com/mining/hull_rust_mahoning_hibbing_open_pit_mine.html for a short video that shows the entire scope of the mine.


And, on the way back from Hibbing, I ran across a planetarium, giving free admission. I saw a great movie on the demise of dinosaurs – the movie ran across the dome of the planetarium, and it was fun to see/hear the dinosaurs stomping to their end. As well, two fellows were using a sophisticated, though small, telescope to look for sun spots. They showed me how to use the telescope, and I saw 2!! They then explained sun spots, and were very envious when I told them I hope to see the Great Array in Soccoro, NM (stay tuned for that.)


The Build here is going well – we're working on three houses, one of which is to be finished in time for a September 26 open house of the HomeBuilder's Association – I'm learning how to put on exterior siding, put on j-channel in an elegant fashion, and carry stuff. I love it. It combines much of what I love best – immediate results; Christian service; good company; being outdoors; travel – could I become a 'full-timer', living year-round in my little rig? Food for thought.


Off to church now – I'm finding that the United Methodist churches are closest to my theology and I feel comfortable there. After that, I'll be repairing a few minor leaks in my baby Boler – can't see myself sitting in the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, festooned with a blue tarp, so I'll try to get that fixed before I leave here next Saturday. My Habitat experience is giving me confidence that I can fix some things, and knowledge about what questions to ask before I start. Good stuff!

Bye for now. Keep in touch, eh??


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by the store! We look forward to your next visit.

    Matt L.
    scheels.com

    ReplyDelete